25 September 2010

My feet have been on the floor, flat like an idle singer

Life's been pretty...much the same lately. No complaints, just nothing new. It is autumn now though. Which is nice. I do like the leaves changing colors and the fact that bugs slowly but surely go away for a goodly part of the year. Plus, I haven't had my A/C on for about a month now, which has been incredibly nice. I had four days off of work this week and since that's a lot more than I'm used to, I made out a list of things I wanted to do. And about all I did on it was clean. Which I suppose is a good thing. I mostly watched Bones and slept which was just nice. I need to finish painting my room and I need to get back on my bike, but mostly, I like to sleep. :)

In other news, I hate rude people. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I really do hate them. It comes to mind easily when I've recently had a run-in with just such a person. Last night while working, I had a mom and her two teenaged kids come through the line. They were nice enough, mostly just indifferent. But then the woman wanted $30 change back from her debit card. This is all fine and such, but then she said she wanted it in quarters. Now, if it were the daytime, it would have been no problem at all to send her over to customer service. But it was after midnight and I am the only cashier at night. I told her I could give her $10 in quarters and the rest in cash, but that I couldn't give her all the quarters in my drawer. She then proceeds to start complaining about how I was the only one up there and that customer service should be open. I told her that all my drawers were counted and I couldn't take money out of them. So she asked to talk to my manager and said that "the manager will give me the quarters." I tried explaining that there would be nothing more they could do either. She wasn't relenting, so I looked around and saw our accounting person, who closes all the drawers at night counting her last drawer. I asked her if she had two rolls of quarters I could have, so she gave them to me, I gave them to the woman and then she said.... "I knew you were a liar" and walked away.

I could have punched her right then and there. There were so many problems with this woman, that I almost could not contain myself. I took the $20 bill from her and took it over the the accounting woman and told her that that customer was a bitch. Here are my observations:

1. It's after midnight. If you wanted a large amount of change, you should have a) gone to a bank or b) come to the store before the late hour in order to ensure customer service would be there to cater to your needs.

2. IT'S AFTER MIDNIGHT!!! Did she expect five cashiers to choose from and a fully functioning service desk to be open just for her? Again, come before the middle of the night and you might have better luck.

3. Who the fuck needs $30 in quarters after midnight? It is entirely plausible that they were for laundry, but really, $30? You need to do laundry more frequently. Or they could have been for some slot machines. But the last I checked, you used tokens for those, right? Or is it a card with credits now? Who knows?

4. You are damn lucky the store is even open. A full-size, nearly fully functioning grocery store open just for you all night long. If we weren't open, you'd have to haul your ass over to Wal-Mart. Maybe that's where you should have gone in the first place.

5. You are even more lucky that I possess even a modicum of self-control, because calling me a liar when I was clearly not was uncalled for and extremely rude. I balled my hands up and walked away holding my breath.

6. Luckiest of all, the accounting person still had one drawer open. If she had been done counting, you would have been SOL. That doesn't make me a liar cause I got you the damned quarters, it makes you lucky that someone else happened to have access. Luck, not lies, was the solution.

After I went back to my register, it just so happened that a very nice woman was standing there waiting to buy wine and she and I chit-chatted about rude people and how I should just let it go and not let it stew. She worked with a lot of customers too, she said, and understood how it felt when people were rude and you couldn't do anything about it. By the time she left I was in a much better mood and every time a nicer looking person came through my line, I chatted them up and thanked them for not being rude. So the night wasn't a total bust.

Phew! I guess I had a lot more to say about that than I originally thought. It's okay though...I'm pretty sure that will be the most eventful thing this whole weekend. Or at least I hope to God it will be.

Songs to consider:

If It's Love (Train)

No comments: