02 November 2008

Pour the salt into the open wound

These days I find myself lacking the wherewithal to watch an entire campaign commercial on TV anymore. Heck, I don't even watch the news; I read it. And you know why? I can skip all the political bull and read what I find more pressing and important to everyday life. I'm not saying I don't care about the upcoming elections, but seriously, constant vigilance is not really going to help matters either way. I find this to be a, "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Some of you may be angry by that fact, but seriously, if you're mind is already made up, leave mine alone. I don't care if you are obsessed with McCain and Palin or if you are obsessed with Obama/Biden. Really, I don't care. Just because I like one candidate over the other doesn't mean I am wrong. It doesn't mean anyone else is wrong either. I won't share my political leanings either, but if you know me, you probably already have an idea.

None of that was really the point of my post, but I was being bothered by someone's seeming forgetfulness of their political and social values. A few months ago, though undecided about who to vote for, they were firm in their beliefs and I thought they would stick with them as it would affect their personal lifestyle choices if they changed their mind. How wrong I was. I'm just curious to see how so much opposition can first turn into acceptance, then defense, then defiant support. I know people are allowed to change their minds, but to do so without really giving a solid reason why seems kind of silly. That's just been on my mind the last few weeks.

I am just extremely grateful that my conference isn't until after this damned election. I'll either be somewhat comforted that America will maybe change for the better or I'll be planning a mass migration to Canada with several of my friends who feel the same way I do. We shall see. But for now, I must retire. My goal is to actually get sleep prior to this conference. It'll be hard, but I think I can pull it off. Bye for now.

Repeats, I know, but I'm in the mood for some breaking. Enjoy.

Songs to consider:

Breathe (Breaking Benjamin)
Here We Are (Breaking Benjamin)

No comments: