Tonight I saw a preview for a movie based on the true story of Nathaniel Ayers. It's called The Soloist and if I can, I'm making the trip to see it over Thanksgiving break. I'm already a sucker for plots heavily involving music, and when the movie can be rooted in something real, it inspires me. To do what exactly, I'm unsure. I tend to lose words when I have music. I mean, music can a lot of the time have words in it, but they are some one else's and as long as a song can express my feelings, I lack the ability to create my own explanations.
At any rate, in the preview, Bach's Cello Suite No. 1 plays throughout and it made me so badly want to just lay in a dark room and listen to that music over and over. The Cello, to me, represents a lot of melancholy in terms of music. It's slow and sad and the sound is just deep. So every time I hear it I become amazingly introspective. I just want to pretend like the world doesn't exist for a while. It feels like being cleansed. And listening makes me want to learn how to play so much. I have this feeling that if I knew how to express myself through an instrument, especially a cello, I would somehow feel more at ease with the world.
In other news, I almost ran over a kitten on my bike outside of the RC. If you see and oreo running around, it's likely the same kitten I encountered. I also bought Iron Man (which has nothing to do with being introspective) and I watched a news piece on a documentary called "My Fake Baby." If you ever want to be slightly disturbed by the news of grown women who play with $4000 life-like baby dolls, roll on over to the BBC and watch what they have to say. Seriously...creepy.
Songs to consider:
Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major (Bach)
Cello Suite No. 2 in D Minor (Bach)
No comments:
Post a Comment